Thursday, January 26, 2012

My mother is suing someone, can my sister be her translator in court?

My mother is going to court to sue a woman who owns her money, my question is, my mother does not speak English, she speaks only Russian, can my sister or I go to court with her as a translator? This is in Los Angeles. Thank you!My mother is suing someone, can my sister be her translator in court?
You should check with the court because the judge may or may not allow this. Generally judges prefer translators to be independent third parties who don't have any kind of vested interest in the outcome. If your mother has documentary evidence to support her claim, then her testimony isn't going to be as critical. But if this case hinges upon verbal agreements then a judge will be more likely to want an independent translator.My mother is suing someone, can my sister be her translator in court?
Check with the Court clerk. If no one objects then there should be no problem. However, the defendant may object if he or she thinks her words are not being accurately translated or if there is any question that your mother's statements are really those of your sister. . In that case the Court will have procedures for certifying, authorizing and swearing in neutral, independent translators. There are dozens of translation services available in LA.My mother is suing someone, can my sister be her translator in court?
You and your sister should be in court if possible to support your mother. You can offer to act as her translator but the court may have a designated person for that purpose. At least you would be there to hear the proceedings in case your mother needs something explained later. Good luck!
It will be nice for you and your sister to keep your mom company to court and be her translator.

No comments:

Post a Comment