Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tolstoy's War and Peace - Who is the best translator?

Tolstoy's novel "War %26amp; Peace" was published in Russian around 1869.

Who is the best translator from the Russian to English?

I've heard this is a great book but if it was written in a foreign language, I'd like to read the best translation available - anyone know who????Tolstoy's War and Peace - Who is the best translator?
I read the translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. I've also read their translations of Dostoevsky's novels. I'm not an expert, but I have never been disappointed by any of the books I've read that they have translated. I obviously didn't read the original Russian version, so I can't vouche personally for how well they captured the true essence of each novel. However, they have won several awards for their translations and many "experts" have said that their translations are the best ones available in English. I thought every book was amazing so they must be doing something right :)

Here are a few articles on them:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424鈥?/a>
http://www.themillions.com/2009/12/the-m鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment