Thursday, January 26, 2012

Russian linguist.How to become one?

I am fluent In Russian-I was born there and 10 years ago has moved in US.I would like to get a job as a Russian linguist.Do I need additional education to be a Russian linguist(translator) if I want work for CIA,FBI etc.?Russian linguist.How to become one?
A linguist isn't a translator or interpreter. A linguist studies things such as the development of human language and the relationship between languages-- not a particular language. The term "Russian linguist" brings to mind images of someone who sits in his study sifting through the Russian lexicon looking for ablaut and words of non-Indo-European origin.



Now, I'm sure one of the US intelligence agencies would love to have you. Coincidentally, my cousin's girlfriend works for the FBI as a Spanish-English interpreter (and she also makes the error of referring to herself as a "linguist"). I met her over Christmas, and I learned that she had originally worked for a private security firm that did contracts with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. She's from the Dominican Republic and is a native Spanish speaker, lacking any formal interpreter training. As her company continued to handle contracts with the FBI, she was actually recruited to work for them due to her knowledge of the Spanish language. It was quite interesting sitting at the dinner table and hearing her tell stories about listening in on wire-taps of the governor's office!



As far as I know, you would need training in security or intelligence work of some kind, not necessarily specialized training in the Russian language. However, there is an institution called the Foreign Service Institute that trains interpreters to work as aids to diplomats and other American officials in foreign countries-- you might be interested in applying there.

No comments:

Post a Comment